What ho, scholars!I know that my schooling advice is highly valued by readers of this blog. There are thousands of Englishmen who are currently unsure whether School X will turn their son into a thrusting young go-getter or a snivelling pansy. As you know, I have had harsh words for the likes of Wellington College. Far too many of our once proud public schools have gone soft or have become mere finishing schools for eurotrash. Some of these institutions are now more likely to produce the next Graham Norton than the next Lord Kitchener.
How gratifying, therefore, to report several extremely positive reports about Sherborne School in Dorset. I know several chaps of a stout, hearty and patriotic disposition who are all thoroughly delighted with the robust schooling their sons are receiving. I am told that:
- Sherborne is resolutely old school in its approach
- Rugger is high on the menu
- There are no fillies to effeminise the boys
- There is no tolerance for yellow behaviour of any kind
- 96% of the boys come from British prep schools, so there are no odious Russian or Arab types to lead one's boy astray
- The school is situated in delightful countryside near a small market town full of buxom young shire girls
- Alumni include Peter Oborne, Tom Bradby, Major General Patrick Cordingley, Stanley Johnson and Nigel Dempster - all corking chaps, I'm sure you'll agree
- Best of all, Sherborne quietly turns a blind eye to regular beastings
In other words, Sherborne ticks all the boxes I alluded to in my earlier post on this topic. I think it's well worth considering if you have a son of red blooded disposition.